About the Programme
On 22nd May, 2023 Ishan Institute of Law organized a visit to the local District Jail as part of its educational initiative to provide students with insights into the criminal justice system. The purpose of the visit was to acquaint students with the conditions inside the jail, observe its operations, and gain a deeper understanding of the challenges faced by inmates and the role of correctional institutions in society. Modern prison system in India is essentially based on the British Prison model which is itself is an outcome of prison developments in America during the late eighteenth century. Earlier concept of jail imprisonment was retribution but modern concept was reformation, rehabilitation and correction etc.
A Total of 30 students were taken on a guided tour of the jail facility. The tour aimed to give students a comprehensive view of the living conditions and day-to-day routines of the inmates. They visited various sections, including cell blocks, common areas, recreational spaces, kitchen facilities, and medical facilities.
Key Learning Objectives
- To provide students with firsthand experience
- Personal Growth and Empathy of students
- Insight into Living Conditions of prisoners
- Understanding the Correctional System
- Awareness of Inmate living conditions
- Engagement with Jail Authorities
- Reflection on Justice System
- Enhanced Understanding of the Criminal Justice System
- Awareness of Living Conditions and Challenges
- Community Engagement and Social Responsibility
- Insights into Rehabilitation Efforts
- Application of Classroom Learning